Again, from The Nelson Way orientation manual:
We seek to maximize mutually beneficial partnerships, both internal and external. This means:
- We share ideas and information with those inside the company.
- We share ideas and information with our external partners.
- We seek to understand the needs and objectives of other divisions.
- We foster an environment that encourages open but candid dialog and vigorous but respectful debate.
- We resolve conflicts in a healthy and timely way.
- We encourage collaboration, publicly acknowledge it, and reward it in practical ways.
- We use a team based approach to problem solving.
Like a lot of Christian businesses and organizations we continue to push for greater candor and less fear of healthy confrontation and discussion.
If you are laboring in a workplace where the culture is cutthroat and/or hyper competitive please know that the culture there can be changed. It takes will from the leadership and examples from the staff and time. It can be done. We've done it.